Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Elegant French macaroons are the perfect treat in the afternoon or for a special occasion. These pink macaroons with chocolate in the middle would be perfect with a cup of tea with friends and family!
- 175g icing sugar
- 125g/4oz ground almonds
- 3 large free-range egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 75g caster sugar
- Natural pink food colouring
For the filling
- 200g good quality dark chocolate
- 200ml double cream
- 1tsp brandy (optional)
- 15g unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3, 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Place the icing sugar and ground almonds in a food processor and whiz into a very fine mixture. Sift into a bowl.
- Place the egg whites in a clean, grease free bowl and add a pinch of salt. Whisk to soft peaks, then gradually whisk in the caster sugar until thick and glossy. Add a few drops pink colouring.
- Fold half the almond and icing sugar mixture into the meringue and mix well. Add the remaining half and fold the mixture using a metal spoon or spatula until it is shiny and a thick, ribbon-like consistency. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle.
- Pipe small equal rounds of the macaroon mixture, about 3cm across, onto the baking sheets. Tap the baking sheet gently onto the work surface. Stand for 10-15 minutes to form a slight skin. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Place the chocolate, double cream in a pan and heat gently until the chocolate is melted. Add the brandy and butter and beat into a smooth consistency.
- Pipe or spread the filling on half the macaroons and sandwich with the others.
Top Tip for making Pink macaroons with chocolate filling
You can be adventurous with these combinations:Macaroons made with lemon essence with lemon colouring filled with lemon cream.Rose water and pink colouring macaroons filled with cream.Replace half the ground almonds with ground pistachios and colour green colour.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Gluten free biscuit recipe with no added sugar
Our gluten free biscuit recipe uses chocolate as the sweetener making them deliicous and squidgy.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Candice Brown's rainbow cake
Want to make your very own rainbow cake? This rainbow cake recipe is easy to follow and is great for those special occasions...
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Mary Berry's chocolate mousse
This chocolate mocha mousse is quick to make, rich in flavour with a light, silky texture. It's one of those treats that's loved by kids and adults alike...
By Mary Berry • Published
Red velvet cupcakes
Red velvet cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery have deep red sponge with a delicious cream cheese frosting. They are delightfully decadent.
By Jessica Dady • Published
A vegetable stew recipe that is quick, cheap and easy to make and is an absolute family favourite. Speeded up by swapping haricot beans for canned butter beans, this meal is a winner
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Jam tarts are one of the simplest bakes around, perfect for making with kids, for novice bakers, or anyone who just fancies a bit of a retro treat.
By Rachael Martin • Published