This succulent Boxing Day ham is a favourite of Pippa Middleton. Oozing with flavour and cooked in apple juice and cider, this sweet ham is perfect for Christmas or a Sunday roast alternative
How about trying our delicious Downton Abbey decadent Christmas Ham to really bring a splice of royalty to your Christmas day!
- 2kg boned ham joint
- 2 litres apple juice
- 2-3 litres cider
- 1 leek
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion
- 2tsps black peppercorns
- 4tbsps marmalade
- 3tbsps soft brown sugar
- 10 garlic cloves
- Put a 2kg boned ham joint in a large pan with 2 litres apple juice, 2-3 litres cider and enough water to cover.
- Add 1 trimmed and coarsely sliced leek, 2 coarsely sliced celery stalks, 2 bay leaves, 1 peeled and chopped onion and 2 tsps black peppercorns and bring to the boil. Skim off any scum.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 2 hrs, until the ham is tender.
- Drain the ham and discard the vegetables and other flavourings. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6. Mix together 4 tbsps marmalade and 3 tbsps soft brown sugar to form a paste. Remove the skin from the ham and score the fat.
- Spread on the marmalade mixture, then stud with 10 cloves and roast for 45 mins, until golden and glistening.
Top Tip for making Pippa Middleton's Boxing Day ham
The ham is completely cooked in the liquid, so can be stored for up to 3 days before you add the glaze and roast it
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Slimming World's roast dinner
By Slimming World • Published
Boxing Day salad
Not sure what to do with your turkey after Christmas day? Make a healthy & delicious Boxing Day turkey salad full of flavour & great for sharing
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Gordon Ramsay's honey glazed ham
Gordon Ramsay's honey glazed ham recipe is a great staple as it can be served hot or cold. Whether served as a Christmas ham or Sunday lunch it's delicious!
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Slow-cooked chicken stew
Slow-cooked chicken stew can be cooked in a slow cooker over six hours or so, or whacked in the oven to bubble away for 2-3 hours.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Healthy chicken casserole
Our healthy chicken casserole recipe is perfect for cold winter nights, made with plenty of veg and butter beans for a filling meal that's good for you too
By Jessica Dady • Published
Chicken biryani is a rich and spicy chicken and rice dish that everyone will love. This authentic Indian meal is easy to make and so delicious.
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Pizza Hut is launching a roast dinner pizza and food fans are torn
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
Morrison's unveils new Christmas Cafe Menu - including £5 xmas dinner
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
These 7 everyday clothing items could get drivers FINED up to £5,000 - do you wear them at the wheel?
By Selina Maycock • Published