Poached eggs are healthier than fried eggs (because poaching in water is a healthier way of cooking
than frying in oil) and by cooking the bacon in its own fat in a non-stick pan you can make this a
healthy and nutritious, as well as substantial, way to start the day. It also makes a quick and easy
supper to enjoy sitting on the sofa in front of the telly.
- 4 rindless rashers of back bacon
- 4 medium eggs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 muffins, split in half
- knob of butter (optional)
- 2tbsp snipped chives
- Heat a non-sick frying pan, add the bacon and cook until crispy, turning. Meanwhile, bring a frying pan of salted water to a simmer, carefully crack in the eggs and poach according to taste.
- Toast the muffins and keep warm. Butter the muffins, if you wish, pop a rasher of bacon on each, place an egg on top. Scatter with chives, season and serve.
Top Tip for making Poached egg and bacon
If you don’t have muffins, make potato cakes from leftover mash (you’ll need about 300g to make two potato cakes). Cook in a hot oven until piping hot before topping with bacon and eggs.