Love Chinese food? It may be tempting to pick up the takeaway menu on a Friday night, but it’s much more satisfying having a go at making your own Chinese from home. These succulent pork dumplings make a delicious treat as a starter or as a light Oriental supper dish served with salad. It requires a bit of effort, but we guarantee it’ll be worth it. Accompany them with hoisin sauce as a dip for a true Chinese flavour.
- 115g plain flour
- 115g lean minced pork
- 1cm piece root ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1tbsp dry sherry
- Large pinch of 5 spice powder
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- Chopped chives and shredded spring onion to garnish
- Put the flour in a bowl and gradually mix in 115ml hot water to form a dough. Turn out on to a floured surface and knead until smooth. Put back in the bowl, cover with foil and set aside for 20 mins.
- In another bowl, mix together the pork, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sherry and 5 spice powder. Set aside until ready to assemble the dumplings.
- Divide the dough into 16 small portions and flatten each to make a small round about 6cm in diameter. Keep the dough rounds covered with damp kitchen paper. Working on one round at a time, put a little filling in the centre, brush the edge with water and then bring up the dough round the filling and crimp and fold the edges to seal. Cover with damp paper whilst you prepare the other dumplings.
- When ready to cook, heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan and add the dumplings, flat side down. Cook for 2-3mins until lightly brown on the bottoms then pour in 150ml water, cover and cook for 10mins. Remove the lid, cook for a further 2 mins until cooked through.
- To serve, drain the dumplings well and arrange on a warm serving platter. Sprinkle with chopped chives and spring onions and serve immediately accompanied with hoisin sauce to dip.
Top Tip for making Pot sticker pork dumplings
This is a versatile recipe which can be adapted to use any minced meat, minced prawns or minced tofu.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Learn how to make pork curry at home with this cheap, quick and easy recipe. This delicious pork curry recipe is a real family favourite
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Fortune cookie are actually pretty easy to make at home with our classic recipe. Also, when you make your own you can personalise the fortunes!
By Rosie Conroy • Published
Make some traditional Chinese dumplings with this easy recipe. Fill Chinese dumpling pancakes with a mixture of pork, soy sauce, spring onions and cabbage for a fresh-tasting filling
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
What is the Lunar New Year and is it different to Chinese New Year?
As the celebrations begin, we answer the questions what is the Lunar New Year and why is it so special?
By Charlie Elizabeth Culverhouse • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Dolce Gusto Infinissima coffee machine starter kit is now less than £70 - perfect for coffee lovers
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published