Layers of potato and celeriac in a creamy cheese sauce is the perfect side to any meal. Particularly delicious aside a roast dinner, this potato gratin is so simple to make
- 500ml pot crème fraîche
- 100ml (3½fl oz) milk
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 1kg (2¼lb) potatoes
- 1 small-med celeriac
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 60g (2oz) ready-grated Gruyère
You will also need:
- Shallow ovenproof dish (about 1.7 litre/2¾ pint), buttered
- Set oven to 190°C/375°FGas Mark 5. Mix the crème fraîche, milk, garlic and thyme in a pan. Heat slowly until it almost comes to the boil. Set aside for 15 mins.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes and peel and coarsely grate celeriac. Their combined weight should be 1.4kg (nearly 3lb) of veg.
- Put a third of the potatoes in the dish. Spread half the celeriac on top and season well. Spoon in some of the creamy mixture with the thyme (stalks removed). Repeat adding more potatoes, the rest of the celeriac, potatoes and creamy mixture.
- Scatter cheese on top. Put dish on a baking tray, cover with paper-lined foil and bake for 1¼-1½ hours. Remove foil and bake for another 20-30 mins.
Top Tip for making Potato and celeriac gratin
For an extra creamy dish, use 600ml (1 pint) double cream, instead of the crème fraîche, and no milk. You can add Parmesan instead of Gruyère.