This cheesy pie makes the perfect supper dish for the family now the weather's turning colder
- 375g packet shortcrust pastry
- 500g (1lb) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
- 100g (3½oz) Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Beaten egg, for glaze
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C and place baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Divide the pastry in half and roll one portion out to line the base of the pie plate, leaving the excess hanging over the edge of the plate. Brush water around the rim of the pastry. Layer up the potato, onion, cheese and thyme, seasoning each layer well.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and lay it over the top. Press down well around the edges. Trim away any excess pastry from the rim of the plate. Crimp around the edge or press a fork into it to make a pattern. Score lines into the pastry, taking care not to cut it. Brush egg glaze over pastry, then make 2 holes in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
- Place the pie on the hot baking sheet, and bake in the centre of the oven for about 1-1¼ hours, or until the pastry is golden and the filling feels just soft when a skewer is pressed through one of the holes in the top. Remove the pie from the oven and serve hot, or leave it to cool slightly and serve it warm, or serve cold with salad.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Hairy Bikers' steak and ale pie
The Hairy Bikers' steak and ale pie recipe is an absolute classic. Learn how to make a rich meaty pie filling and soft buttery pastry...
By Hairy Bikers • Published
This classic cottage pie recipe feeds four and is a firm family favourite - plus it's really easy to make
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Filo pastry mince pies
Filo pastry mince pies are so easy to make and ready in 30 minutes, with a crispy base, plenty of mincemeat and a sweet marzipan top
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
This Ferrero Rocher pastry recipe has just four ingredients and is going viral
By Caitlin Elliott • Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney • Published
Mum shares insanely easy and cheap hack to clean the pesky dust behind your radiators
By Selina Maycock • Published