Want to cut down on the sugar content in your cakes? Try topping your cupcakes with cupcake queen Victoria Threader's reduced-sugar buttercream. This fluffy icing contains less than half the sugar of regular buttercream
Now you know how to make the perfect icing, why not follow our simple guide on how to make a piping bag to really let your creative icing decorations flourish.
- 240ml milk
- 60g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 110g vegetable fat such as Trex
- 110g unsalted butter
- 220g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk the flour into the milk in a small saucepan and heat gently over a low heat until you have a smooth ball of mixture. Don't worry if you get lumps, just pop it through a seive.
- Cover the mixture with cling film so the cling is touching the top of the mixture, this ensures it doesn't develop a skin. Leave to go cold.
- Beat the other ingredients together in a large bowl with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. When the flour mix is cold add it to the rest of the ingredients spoon by spoon, continuing to beat the mixture with the electric whisk while you drop it in.
- Beat until smooth and shiny, if the buttercream seems crunchy keep beating, this could take up to 10 minutes. Add food colouring if required, and chill for 10 minutes, this will make it easier to pipe.
Top Tip for making Reduced-sugar buttercream
Learn how to get perfectly iced cupcakes everytime with our how to ice cupcakes videos
Victoria Threader is 'the queen of cupcakes' and a contributing Recipe Writer at GoodTo. Not only can she bake delicious cupcakes, she can decorate them too - with each of Victoria’s cupcakes topped with handmade edible toppers. Some of her most popular cupcakes include: rainbow cupcakes, hidden shape cupcakes and even giant cupcakes.
Our easy butterfly buns recipe is perfect for kids. We've kept our butterfly cake recipe simple - just slice the tops off and fill with buttercream and jam...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Red velvet cupcakes
Red velvet cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery have deep red sponge with a delicious cream cheese frosting. They are delightfully decadent.
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Mary Berry's almond cupcakes
Mary Berry's deliciously moist almond cupcakes are packed with apricots and sultanas for a fruity twist. Make 12 cupcakes using this recipe...
By Mary Berry • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney • Published
Make this Mother's Day one to remember with John Lewis and AirPods
By Emily Stedman • Published
Morrisons launches special ‘Pocket Money Menu’ so children can pay on Mother's Day
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published