Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
This mildly spiced beetroot soup is paired with apples to create a thick and wholesome soup. Vibrant in its ruby colour, the beetroots sweet earthy flavours are released when roasted to create a soup bursting with flavour that is really surprisingly easy to cook. A very healthy soup full of nutrients that is great served simply with warm crusty bread and, if you have some, a little scatter of crumbled goats cheese for a beautiful flavour combination. A perfect starter to serve friends that can not fail to impress. Try serving with roast vegetable crisps as a garnish
- 1kg fresh beetroot, peeled & wedged
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp ground cumin
- 2tbsp fresh thyme leaves, plus a few leaves to garnish
- 25g unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 braeburn apples, peeled, cored & finely chopped
- 1litre vegetable stock
- 4tbsp half fat crème fraiche
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 6. Place the beetroot in a single layer over two large baking trays. Drizzle with the oil and toss with the cumin and thyme. Season well then roast for 40-50 minutes or until the beetroot is tender.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a large frying pan and add the onion. Sauté for 10 minutes before adding the adding and cooking for a further 5 minutes until softened.
- Transfer to a large saucepan, stir through the roasted beetroot and pour over the stock. Simmer for 10 minutes then in batches transfer to a blender to blitz until smooth.
- Serve with a spoonful of crème fraiche and a scattering of fresh thyme.
Top Tip for making Roast beetroot and apple soup
For a really smooth consistency strain the soup through a sieve after blending
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady • Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Gordon Ramsay's cream of cauliflower soup
This velvety smooth cauliflower soup is by celeb chef Gordon Ramsay. Read in just 30 minutes...
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Red velvet cupcakes
Red velvet cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery have deep red sponge with a delicious cream cheese frosting. They are delightfully decadent.
By Jessica Dady • Published
A vegetable stew recipe that is quick, cheap and easy to make and is an absolute family favourite. Speeded up by swapping haricot beans for canned butter beans, this meal is a winner
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Jam tarts are one of the simplest bakes around, perfect for making with kids, for novice bakers, or anyone who just fancies a bit of a retro treat.
By Rachael Martin • Published
Winter Love Island has been confirmed for 2023
Winter Love Island is back for another year
By Caitlin Elliott • Last updated
Love Island fans are calling for THIS dumped islander to return for the winter 2023 series
Love Island fans want to see this islander make a comeback in the upcoming winter season after they were dumped, less than a week after entering the villa
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published