Roast dinner for under £1 a head! Serve up to 6 people with this delicious pork belly recipe, it's so tasty they'll never guess how cheap it is
To make sure you're doing everything you can to make the perfect, succulent pork, why not have a look at our great and easy guide on how to roast pork!
Why not go the extra mile with your roast an make your own delicious bread sauce with our really easy recipe!
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried thyme, plus a little extra
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Good pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- About 1kg (2¼lb) piece boneless belly pork
For the roast veg:
- 1kg (2¼lb) root veg (we used swede, carrot, potatoes and parsnip)
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Mix the cumin, thyme, pepper and salt with 2 tablespoons of the oil in a dish large enough to put the pork in flat. Add the meat, skin-side up, and rub the marinade into the flesh. Chill, uncovered, for a few hours or overnight.
- Set the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3. Rub pork skin with oil and salt. Put it in a roasting tin, swish out marinade dish with 5 tablespoons water, pour that into the tin and roast for 2 hours.
- When the meat has been cooking for 1½ hours, peel the root veg and onion and chop into 2cm (¾in) chunks. Put a tin, with oil in it, into the oven to heat up. Add the swede and carrot to a pan of boiling salted water, bring back to the boil, then add the potato and parsnip and simmer for 5 mins.
- Turn the oven heat up to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 5. Drain the veg well and put back in the pan to dry off. Tip them into the roasting tin, add the onion, sprinkle with thyme and coat them in oil. Put the pan in the oven on the shelf under the pork. The pork skin should crisp and blister after 30-40 mins.
- Take meat out of the oven; leave it to rest for 20-30 mins. Turn veg and cook until golden. Remove pork crackling and slice meat to serve with the veg.
Top Tip for making Roast belly pork with mixed veg
Can't have a roast without roast potatoes? See our classic roast potato recipes
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Learn how to make pork curry at home with this cheap, quick and easy recipe. This delicious pork curry recipe is a real family favourite
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Spicy pepper pulled pork
By Jessica Dady • Published
Slimming World's roast dinner
With Slimming World's roast dinner you'll never feel like you have to miss out on the most important meal of the week again.
By Slimming World • Last updated
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Pizza Hut is launching a roast dinner pizza and food fans are torn
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
When does autumn start? First day of autumn 2022
If you're wondering when does autumn start in the UK, we reveal the official date and month that marks the end of summer and the beginning of autumn
By Ellie Hutchings • Last updated
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published