Salmon hash is a healthy and filling brunch dish that is packed with flavour. The combination of both eggs and smoked salmon means that this salmon (opens in new tab) hash is high in protein, helping you to stay fuller for longer. Salmon is a great source of brain-boosting omega 3 fatty acids, and eggs provide selenium and vitamin B2, so this breakfast gives you a nutritious start to the day. This salmon hash is a great way to use up any leftover cooked potatoes or salmon you might have, and transform them into a delicious breakfast to share.
- 750g baby new potatoes
- 1 bunch of spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1tbsp chopped dill
- 3tbsp capers
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 6tbsp half-fat soured cream
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 eggs
- 150g smoked salmon trimmings
- Cook the new potatoes in boiling salted water for 15 mins, or until tender. Drain and then tip them into a bowl. Lightly crush the potatoes with a fork with most of the spring onion (reserving about a handful for garnish), the chopped dill, capers and lemon zest. Season generously.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, add the potato mix and fry over a medium-high heat, stirring every few mins, for 10 mins, until golden crusts form underneath.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the soured cream, mustard and lemon juice, season well and set aside.
- Fill a large pan with boiling water to a depth of 5cm and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Crack in the eggs and leave to poach for 3 mins. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Stir the salmon into the potatoes. Spoon the hash on to plates, top with a poached egg, scatter over the reserved spring onion and drizzle with the mustard dressing.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Cloud eggs recipe: How to make Instagram's latest breakfast obsession
Our cloud eggs recipe is really a pretty way to serve up your breakfast. With fluffy bottoms and dippy tops the whole family will love these...
By Rosie Conroy • Published
Blueberry and kiwi smoothie
This healthy and easy to make Blueberry and kiwi smoothie is the perfect choice for breakfast or as a quick, pick me up snack.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Broccoli and salmon pasta
This superfood-packed broccoli and salmon pasta recipe is full of protein and contains a third of your recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Waco: American Apocalypse: Who was David Koresh and do Branch Davidians still believe?
Waco: American Apocalypse begins airing on Netflix, and we look at who David Koresh was, and the Branch Davidians beliefs.
By Lucy Wigley • Published
Are Mini Eggs being discontinued?
With rumours that Cadbury's Mini Eggs are being discontinued, we've looked into the matter and explained what is really going on.
By Emily Stedman • Published
When does Great British Menu 2023 start?
All you need to know ahead of series 18 of the culinary BBC Two show
By Selina Maycock • Published