This is a very simple dish that doesn’t compromise on taste. Minimum fuss in preparation, but good robust flavours to savour, making it a winner all round! Use thin stems of broccoli to ensure it cooks evenly, so cut any thicker stalks in half if they are chunky. It’s a sausage pasta dish with a difference which is ready in a little over 30 minutes.
- 8 chunky beef sausages
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g fine stem (Tenderstem®) broccoli, trimmed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 sheets fresh lasagne
- Cut the sausages into chunky pieces. Heat 2tbsp oil in a large saucepan and stir fry the sausages for 5 mins until browned all over. Reduce the heat, add the garlic and broccoli, cover and cook for a further 10 mins, stirring occasionally until the broccoli is wilted and the sausage pieces are cooked through. Season well.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Mix in the oil and carefully lower the sheets of lasagne into the water. Cook for 2-3 mins until tender. Drain well and cool under cold running water.
- Pat dry the lasagne sheets with kitchen paper then cut into wide strips. Set aside.
- Just before serving, carefully toss the ribbons of pasta into the sausage mixture. Stir gently over a low heat for 2-3 mins to warm through then pile into warm serving bowls. Season to taste and serve immediately with crusty bread and a crisp salad.
Top Tip for making Sausage with fine stem broccoli and pasta ribbons
This recipe works well with asparagus spears. Use pork sausages if preferred. For a spicier salad, add some chopped garlic and red chilli to the onion as it cooks.