Using fresh spring ingredients, white wine and cream are great with scallops in this quick and easy Easter lunch dish.
- 12 scallops, preferably with roe (coral) attached
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 150ml (¼ pint) dry white wine
- Pinch of saffron
- 142ml carton double cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Frisée salad leaves, to serve
- Using a sharp knife, score the white surfaces of the scallops into a diamond pattern.
- Heat the oil in a pan and briefly cook the scallops for a few minutes on each side, until they start to turn golden. Remove them from the pan and keep them warm while making the sauce.
- Pour the wine into the pan, add the saffron and boil it rapidly to reduce the volume by about half. Stir in the cream and simmer the sauce until it thickens to a coating consistency. Season the sauce to taste.
- Spoon the sauce on to serving plates and arrange the scallops on top. Serve with frisée salad leaves. (Not suitable for freezing).
Top Tip for making Seared scallops in saffron sauce
Take care not to overcook scallops as they toughen easily. Once they lose their translucency and turn opaque, they're done
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Pepper sauce recipe
This classic pepper sauce recipe is much easier to make than your may think. With plenty of flavour and a tangy kick, this sauce is ideal drizzled on a steak
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Rocky road Easter eggs
Rocky road Easter eggs are so easy to make with just 4 ingredients including white chocolate, Mini Eggs and marshmallows. Easy and delicious!
By Anneliese Giggins • Published
Marie Rose sauce
This Marie Rose sauce recipe is a tangy dressing known as seafood, cocktail, or burger sauce. It’s the classic sauce for prawn cocktail...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
M&S Food's Easter eggs have arrived and customers are not happy
Chocolate Easter eggs have already been spotted at Marks and Spencer's supermarkets
By Emma Dooney • Published
Aldi issues urgent recall of sauce that could pose health risk to asthma sufferers
Aldi has urged customers not to eat the sauce over fears it contains sulphites.
By Selina Maycock • Published
Queen helped through difficult Easter celebration by these key royals
By Emma Shacklock • Published