A real taste of autumn, this warming pumpkin soup makes the most of seasonal pumpkin. Mix with sweet potatoes and orange for a perfect lunch treat. Serve with a hunk of bread
- 3tbsp good olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 500g (1lb) pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 400g (14oz) sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Finely grated zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 900ml (1½ pints) hot vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 60g (2oz) pumpkin seeds
- Good pinch of sea salt
- Few sprigs of fresh coriander
- Heat 2tbsp of the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook gently for 5 mins until softened.
- Add the chopped pumpkin and sweet potatoes, the orange zest and juice, garlic and coriander, then pour in the vegetable stock. Season to taste. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 mins until the pumpkin and sweet potato are tender.
- Turn off the heat and use a stick blender to whizz the soup until it’s really smooth.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Add the pumpkin seeds and sea salt. Cook for 2-3 mins, shaking the pan, until the pumpkin seeds begin to pop and turn brown.
- Serve the soup in warm bowls, sprinkled with the pumpkin seeds and a couple of coriander sprigs.
Top Tip for making Seasonal pumpkin and orange soup
I recommend buying thepumpkin seeds separately, as the ones you find in the centre of the pumpkin tend not be so tasty.