Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
This vegetarian curry is great with naan bread, chutney and steamed rice! Try Simon's recipe when you're tempted by a weekend takeaway but want something healthier.
- 500g (1lb 2oz) sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 400g (14oz) courgettes, trimmed and cut into 2.5cm (1-inch)
- Rounds salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and finely sliced good handful of baby spinach
- 1 tsp each of cumin, coriander,
- fennel and fenugreek seeds
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 small red birds eye chillies,
- deseeded and finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2.5cm (1-inch) piece fresh root
- ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed,
- pods discarded
- 250ml (9fl oz) vegetable stock
- For the sauce, gently toast the cumin, coriander, fennel and fenugreek seeds for 2 minutes in a dry pan, then grind them using a pestle and mortar.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large pan, add the onions and fry gently for 10 minutes until well coloured. Add the garlic and chilli.
- Stir in the tomatoes, ginger, turmeric, cardamom seeds and toasted, ground spices.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Tip the curry sauce into a food processor and blend until very smooth.
- Boil or steam the sweet potato until tender.
- Toss the courgettes in the remaining oil, then fry them for a few minutes on each side until lightly browned. Season well.
- To serve, add all the veggies to the prepared sauce and warm through.
Top Tip for making Simon Rimmer’s vegetable curry
Serve with steamed rice, naan bread and any other bits you fancy, such as chutney and raita.