Chicken curry is a family favourite, but you can really impress everyone with this recipe that uses a whole chicken! This whole chicken curry recipe can be made in a slow cooker or in a casserole dish. It definitely packs a punch, so have naan breads and yogurt to hand to cool it down and if you prefer milder flavours. This is a really good recipe for when you've got friends coming round as it looks really impressive and yet it's really easy to make. The creamed coconut gives the curry a really smooth, silky texture and mixes really well with all the herbs and spices the chicken cooks in.
Read our tried and tested reviews of the best slow cookers.
- 1.5kg whole chicken
For the paste:
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 5cm piece fresh ginger
- 1tbsp garam masala
- 1tsp each ground cumin, coriander, turmeric
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 chicken stock pot, we used Knorr
- 50g creamed coconut block
- 1tbsp black mustard seeds
- 1tsp each cumin and coriander seeds
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1-2 green and red chillies, sliced
- Handful fresh coriander
- 6tbsp mango chutney
- To make the paste, roughly chop the onion, garlic and ginger, and put into a small blender. Add the garam masala, spices, rapeseed oil, stock pot and 250ml cold water. Whizz for a few minutes until it forms a smooth sauce.
- Freshly grate the creamed coconut block into the sauce mixture and stir well, making sure there are no lumps.
- Put the whole chicken into a slow cooker and pour over the sauce, rub all over to make sure the chicken is well covered. Sprinkle over the seeds, lime leaves and chillies, cover and cook on low for 4 hrs until cooked through and tender. If you don’t have a slow cooker, heat the oven to 140C, gas 1, put the ingredients in a deep casserole dish, then cover with wet greaseproof paper and pop the lid on.
- Top with coriander and serve the curry with steamed vegetables, naan bread, poppadoms and mango chutney.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jessica is a freelance food writer, stylist and recipe tester. She previously worked as Senior Food Writer at Future. While at Future Jessica wrote food and drink-related news stories and features, curated product pages, reviewed equipment, and developed recipes that she then styled on food shoots. She is an enthusiastic, self-taught cook who adores eating out and sharing great food and drink with friends and family. She has completed the Level 1 Associate course at the Academy of Cheese and is continually building on her knowledge of beers, wines, and spirits.
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe is perfect for vegetarians. It's packed full of delicious veggies with plenty of flavour too thanks to the chilli, cardamom and curry paste
By Gordon Ramsay Published
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken recipe is so easy to make and tastes delicious. It includes a butter chicken sauce and spice rub for the chicken...
By Gordon Ramsay Published
Slow-cooked pork and pineapple curry
This fragrant slow-cooked pork and pineapple curry can be prepped in the morning and will be ready and waiting after a long day.
By Jessica Dady Published