These succulent cod fish cakes are light, packed with flavour and great for a healthy family meal. Learn how to make them with our step-by-step video recipe
- 1 pack smoked cod
- 200g mashed potato, seasoned
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 50g white cheddar, grated
- 3 tbsp of chives, chopped
- 50g seasoned flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp crème fraiche
- Oil for frying
- Cook the smoked cod as instructed on pack. When cooled, remove the skin and any bones, and then flake the fish.
- In a bowl, mix the fish, mashed potato, cheese, half the mustard and chives. Beat 1 egg and add to the mix to bind. Split the mix into 6 equal portions and mould into round fishcakes with your hands. Place on a plate and leave in the fridge to firm up.
- When fish cakes are firm cover in seasoned flour, dip into the egg, gently shake to remove excess and place one at a time onto a bed of breadcrumbs to cover the base, scooping the breadcrumbs up over the top and pressing them firmly onto the fishcakes to cover the gaps.
- In a large frying pan cover the base with oil. Fry over a medium heat for 10 minutes, turning half way through.
- Lay the fishcakes on kitchen paper to drain and make the delicious sauce by simply mixing the remaining mustard with the crème fraiche.
Top Tip for making Smoked cod fish cakes
Shake things up a little and try this with smoked salmon the next time you make it
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Video recipe! Smoked trout pate
goodtoknow has lots of easy Christmas recipes like Smoked Trout Mousse. Check out our easy step-by-step guide to making these Christmas starters with our new baking video below.
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Video recipe: Phil Vickery's ginger biscuits
These ginger biscuits look lovely and festive hanging from the tree at Christmas and they taste great too! Follow along in our easy step-by-step video recipe visit goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes
By Phil Vickery • Published
Chicken, bacon and mushroom carbonara
This chicken, bacon and mushroom carbonara recipe puts a twist on the classic carbonara with chicken and mushrooms. It's a great dish for a family kitchen supper.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Royal Family's Christmas dinner menu at Windsor Castle confuses fans
Royal fans have been left baffled by the Christmas dinner menu's unfamiliar language
By Emma Dooney • Published
The Queen's hilariously clever trick to get guests to dinner in a timely manner
Queen Elizabeth II's clever way she got guests to dinner promptly.
By Selina Maycock • Published