This deceptively luxurious soup mixes the flavours of the smoked fish and mussels with a creamy broth
- 450g (1lb) smoked haddock fillet
- 600ml (1pt) milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 40g (1½ oz) butter
- 2 leeks, washed, trimmed and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 450g (1lb) fresh mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- Fresh chopped parsley
- 4tbsp single cream
- Place the fish in a frying pan and pour over the milk. Add the bay leaf and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins. Remove fish with a slotted spoon and roughly flake, discarding the skin and any small bones. Strain the milk.
- Heat the butter in a large deep pan and gently fry the leeks and celery for 8-10 mins until softened. Sprinkle over the flour and cook for 1 min, then gradually stir in the strained milk and 300ml (½ pt) water. Simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the mussels in a pan with 300ml (½ pt) water, cover and bring to the boil. Cook for 3-4 mins until the shells have opened. Drain, remove mussels from the shells, reserving eight in their shells for the garnish.
- Add the fish and mussels to the chowder with the parsley, reserving a few sprigs, and the single cream. Heat gently for 3-4 mins. Season to taste. Serve garnished with the mussels in their shells and reserved parsley.
Top Tip for making Smoked haddock and mussel chowder
Remember to discard any mussels that haven't opened after cooking.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer Published
Creamy carrot and parsnip soup
This delicious creamy carrot and parsnip soup recipe is easy to make, simple and healthy too - a delicious winter warmer!
By Sue McMahon Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published