Flavoursome smoked haddock makes a tasty alternative to salmon fishcakes. Great as a starter - or eat two as a main course
- 900g (2lb) floury potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 450g (1lb) smoked haddock fillet
- 6tbsp tinned sweetcorn kernels
- 2tbsp each fresh chopped parsley and chives
- 2tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 2tbsp seasoned flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 75g (3oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- Oil for shallow-frying
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Boil the potatoes in a large pan of salted water until tender, then drain well and mash. Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool.
- Place the haddock in a frying pan, cover with water and simmer for 8-10 mins until just cooked. Remove from the pan with a fish slice and flake the flesh, discarding any skin and bones. Add fish to the mash with the sweetcorn, herbs and lemon rind. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and mix well.
- Divide the potato mixture and shape into 8 small fishcakes. Coat each fishcake in seasoned flour, then dip in beaten egg and finally coat in the breadcrumbs. Leave fishcakes to chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Shallow-fry the fishcakes in hot oil for 3-4 mins on each side until golden. Drain well and serve with lemon wedges.
Top Tip for making Smoked haddock fishcakes
Want nuggets instead? Shape about four balls from one quantity of fishcake and coat in flour, egg and breadcrumbs in the same way.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Smoked haddock in mushroom sauce
This smoked haddock in mushroom sauce is creamy and delicious and perfect for sharing. Serve with new potatoes or rice
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Crushed new potatoes
This simple crushed new potatoes salad makes a lovely easy lunchtime treat on warm summery days, or a great side dish with a barbecue.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Crushed potato salad
Forget shop bought potato salad or mayo-laiden calorie traps - this continental crushed potato salad recipe is quick, easy and packed with flavour.
By Sue McMahon • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney • Published
Is Gone Fishing coming back and how many episodes are there?
Fans are wondering if Gone Fishing is coming back on TV starring Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse.
By Selina Maycock • Last updated
Meghan Markle's favourite high street mascara is SO cheap
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published