This salmon kedgeree recipe is perfect at any time of the day - breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you want more of a kick then you can add a little curry powder or sliced chillies for an added hit of flavour to please any heat lovers. We love this served up as it is but it's also fab with a big green salad at tea time. This gorgeous smokey salmon kedgeree recipe also keeps really well and will reheat perfectly, so make extras for lunchboxes or late-night suppers.
- 12 quail’s eggs
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 175g (6oz) basmati or long-grain rice
- About 300g (10oz) lightly smoked salmon fillets (2 fillets)
- About 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Add the quail’s eggs to a pan of gently boiling water and cook for 2½ minutes. Drain, cover with cold water and leave for a few minutes to cool.
- Melt half the butter in a frying pan. Add the onion and fry for about 4 minutes until soft and golden.
- Add the rice, stir well and pour in 600ml (1 pint) hot water. Bring just to the boil. Nestle the salmon fillets in the rice, cover and cook over a very low heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the quail’s eggs and cut in half.
- Take out salmon and set it aside. Keep cooking the rice for another few minutes, with pan lid off. Skin the fish, check for bones, removing any you find.
- Add the rest of the butter, large flakes of fish and parsley to the rice. Arrange halved quail’s eggs on top and sprinkle with paprika. Garnish with the parsley.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Slimming World's chilli and cauliflower rice recipe
This Slimming World chilli and cauliflower rice is easy to make, but healthy and satisfying to eat - the perfect mid-week supper that will please the whole family!
By Slimming World • Published
Broccoli and salmon pasta
This superfood-packed broccoli and salmon pasta recipe is full of protein and contains a third of your recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Blueberry and kiwi smoothie
This healthy and easy to make Blueberry and kiwi smoothie is the perfect choice for breakfast or as a quick, pick me up snack.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Is the Wim Hof Method healthy? Wim Hof's new TV show Freeze the Fear explained
By Selina Maycock • Published
Why is there an egg shortage in the UK? Here’s why supermarkets are running out of eggs
Find out why is there an egg shortage, as some supermarkets see their shelves left empty as a result of the ongoing issue.
By Ellie Hutchings • Last updated
McDonald's has AXED another beloved breakfast favourite from the menu
Another McDonald's breakfast favourite has been axed!
By Naomi Jamieson • Published