This nourishing bowl of soba noodles with spicy miso prawns and broccoli is fresh, flavourful and filling. Soba noodles are either made entirely from buckwheat flour, which is gluten free, or from a combination of buckwheat and regular wheat flour. They are popular in Japanese dishes and often served in a hot broth. We've topped our soba noodles with spicy pan fried prawns and broccoli, and made a quick pickle, which is so easy to do but makes this soba noodle bowl a bit special. It's all tied together with a savoury miso dressing, with a hint of zesty lime and warming toasted sesame. This dish is part of our low calorie meals collection as its under 500 calories per portion.
For the pickle:
- 2 carrots, cut into strips using a julienne peeler
- ¼ red cabbage, finely sliced
- 75ml vinegar
- 2tsp sugar
- 1tsp salt
For the bowls:
- 1/2tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ thumb sized ginger, grated
- 125g Tenderstem broccoli tips
- 125g frozen king prawns, defrosted
- 150g soba noodles
For the dressing:
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp miso paste
- 2tsp sesame oil
- 1tsp honey
- juice of 1 lime
- 1tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Lime wedges
- To make the quick pickled carrot and cabbage, toss the veg with the vinegar, sugar and salt and set aside while you cook.
- Cook the noodles according to package instructions, about 5 mins, then set aside. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the chilli, ginger and garlic and cook for 2 mins until fragrant. Add the broccoli and stir fry for a few mins, then add the prawns and cook for a few mins until the prawns are pink and the broccoli is tender.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together. Divide the noodles between two bowls, top with prawns, broccoli and pickled veg, then drizzle ofer the dressing. Scatter over the toasted sesame seeds and serve with wedges of lime.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Gousto's Wagamama yasai yaki udon
For a perfect taste of takeaway fakery, try this Gousto's Wagamama yasai yaki udon. Serve with sesame seeds and pickled ginger.
By Sibelle Mehmet Published
Prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon
Our prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon is so simple to make at home and is bursting with plenty of flavour - the perfect mid-week meal.
By Jessica Dady Published
Prawn toast is incredibly easy to make yourself and so delicious it's almost criminal. This recipe for prawn toast is prepped in just ten mins too.
By Jessica Dady Last updated
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published