Creole cuisine uses lots of firey chillies which are often too hot for most of us. This recipe uses Tabasco sauce so add as much or as little as your taste buds can take. Serve this soupy stew with crusty bread to mop up the sauce.
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 150ml dry sherry
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 450g prepared pumpkin or squash, cut into chunky pieces
- 450g skinless chunky white fish fillets, cubed
- Juice of 1 lime
- Freshly chopped parsley and sliced red chilli to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion, garlic, celery and pepper for 5 mins to soften but not brown.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, sherry and Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce to taste, and plenty of seasoning. Stir in the pumpkin, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 mins.
- Stir in the fish, re-cover and continue to cook for a further 15 mins until tender and cooked through. Discard the bay leaf and stir in the lime juice. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- To serve, ladle into warm serving bowls and serve immediately sprinkled with parsley and chilli.
Top Tip for making Spicy Creole-style fish stew
Choose a meaty white fish for this recipe such as cod, hake or monkfish and cut into quite chunky pieces so it doesn’t break up too much during cooking.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Sausage casserole recipe
This easy sausage casserole recipe combines cannellini beans, plum tomatoes, and potatoes into one hearty dinner...
By Jessica Dady Last updated
Sausage and bean stew
Our sausage and bean stew is a fail-safe family recipe. It's basically baked beans and sausages, but it's so good you'll never want to eat them out of a tin again.
By Jessica Dady Published
Beans and sausage bake
This beans and sausage bake is packed with chunky potatoes, flageolet and kidney beans in a rich, tomato sauce. A perfect sausage supper.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published