The combination of rice and beans (or peas) is a popular dish throughout many American and West Indian cuisines. Use whatever cooked or canned beans you have ready in the cupboard. This would go hand in hand served with spicy chicken or barbecued meat. The peas and rice give this dish a real kick, and it's easy peasy to make plus ready on the table in just over 30 mins.
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tbsp mustard seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 small stick cinnamon
- 350g long grain white rice
- 900ml chicken stock
- 150g cooked black eye beans
- 50g creamed coconut, grated
- 2tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few sprigs fresh coriander
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the garlic with the mustard and cinnamon for 1 min. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for about 2 mins until the rice becomes opaque.
- Pour over the stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add the beans, coconut and ground cumin, re-cover and cook for a further 5 mins. Remove from the heat and stand, covered, for 10 mins. Discard the cinnamon stick and season to taste.
- To serve, pile into a serving bowl and sprinkle with fresh coriander leaves. Serve immediately.
Top Tip for making Spicy rice and black eye peas
For a vegetarian dish, use vegetable stock instead of chicken. For a spicy kick, fry a finely chopped fresh green or red chilli along with the garlic at the beginning of the recipe.