Give your gammon some oomph with our tasty spice coating, and serve with something a little different - relish made from beetroot, sultanas and apple. Delicious!
- About 2kg (4lb) smoked gammon joint
For the stock
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 15 cloves and some peppercorns
For the spice mix
- 1 tsp each of cumin seeds, coriander seeds, ground ginger and cinnamon
- ½ tsp each of ground nutmeg and ground cloves
- Pinch of dried chillies
For the beetroot relish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 eating apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 250g (8oz) cooked beetroot, cut into small wedges
- 2 tbsp sultanas
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ level tsp each of ground coriander, ground cumin and ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Put the gammon in a large pan with chopped stock ingredients. Add enough water to cover, bring to the boil, then simmer for just under 2 hours.
- For spice mix, use a pestle and mortar to grind ingredients.
- Set oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas Mark 4. Remove meat from pan, leave for 10 mins, then peel off skin. Put meat in a roasting tin and press spice mix on top using the back of a spoon. Roast for 30 mins, until golden. Leave for about 15 mins before slicing, or leave until completely cold.
- To make the relish: Heat the oil in a frying pan, add onion and cook over a low heat for 8 mins. Add apple, beetroot, sultanas and spices and cook for 2 mins, then add 5 tbsp water and cook for a further 15 mins, until the fruit is soft but not mushy. Add the vinegar and simmer for 1 min, then add honey. Serve either hot or cold.
Top Tip for making Spicy roast gammon with beetroot relish
Save any leftover beetroot relish for sandwiches
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Maple roast gammon
Our syrupy maple roast gammon is a crowd-pleasing classic. It makes a great centrepiece of a festive feast and you can serve it warm straight from the oven, or cold, buffet-style.
By Sue McMahon • Last updated
Slimming World's roast dinner
With Slimming World's roast dinner you'll never feel like you have to miss out on the most important meal of the week again.
By Slimming World • Last updated
Harissa roast chicken with jewelled cous cous
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Pizza Hut is launching a roast dinner pizza and food fans are torn
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
You can now get your Toby Carvery roast dinner delivered with Just Eat
That’s right, a roast dinner delivered to your door
By Jessica Ransom • Published