Impress your friends with this roasted buttered partridge with cumin, coriander and garlic. It's delicious hot or cold.
- 4 whole oven-ready partridges
- 2tsp cumin seeds
- 2tsp coriander seeds
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- Grated zest of 1 lemon and some juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 90g (3oz) butter, softened
- Small new potatoes and salad, to serve
- Bamboo skewers
- To spatchcock a partridge: put the partridge breast-down on the work surface and cut up both sides of the backbone with poultry shears or strong scissors. Discard the bone, turn the bird back over and flatten it out with the palm of your hand. Wash and dry the bird, then put 2 bamboo skewers through the legs and body, crossing them over to hold the bird flat - doing this means that the birds cook more quickly and evenly.
- Set the oven to gas mark 6/200°C. Put the cumin and coriander seeds in a small pan over a high heat for a few seconds, until they start to pop and release toasty aromas. Tip the seeds into a mortar and grind them coarsely with the pestle, add the garlic, the lemon zest and some seasoning. Stir the mixture into the butter to make a paste.
- Squeeze a little lemon juice over the partridges, then rub the flavoured butter on top of each bird. Put them on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 mins. Brush the birds with buttery juices, then turn the oven setting to Grill and cook for another 5 minutes, until the skin is browned and crispy. Remove the skewers, and spoon the juices over. Serve with new potatoes and salad.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Fish crumble pie
This week the Woman's Weekly kitchen brings you an easy fish pie recipe with delicious smoked haddock and a golden-toasted oat crumble topping
By Jessica Dady Published
Slimming World's roast dinner
With Slimming World's roast dinner you'll never feel like you have to miss out on the most important meal of the week again.
By Slimming World Last updated
Harissa roast chicken with jewelled cous cous
By Samuel Goldsmith Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published