Impress your friends with this roasted buttered partridge with cumin, coriander and garlic. It's delicious hot or cold.
- 4 whole oven-ready partridges
- 2tsp cumin seeds
- 2tsp coriander seeds
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- Grated zest of 1 lemon and some juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 90g (3oz) butter, softened
- Small new potatoes and salad, to serve
- Bamboo skewers
- To spatchcock a partridge: put the partridge breast-down on the work surface and cut up both sides of the backbone with poultry shears or strong scissors. Discard the bone, turn the bird back over and flatten it out with the palm of your hand. Wash and dry the bird, then put 2 bamboo skewers through the legs and body, crossing them over to hold the bird flat - doing this means that the birds cook more quickly and evenly.
- Set the oven to gas mark 6/200°C. Put the cumin and coriander seeds in a small pan over a high heat for a few seconds, until they start to pop and release toasty aromas. Tip the seeds into a mortar and grind them coarsely with the pestle, add the garlic, the lemon zest and some seasoning. Stir the mixture into the butter to make a paste.
- Squeeze a little lemon juice over the partridges, then rub the flavoured butter on top of each bird. Put them on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 mins. Brush the birds with buttery juices, then turn the oven setting to Grill and cook for another 5 minutes, until the skin is browned and crispy. Remove the skewers, and spoon the juices over. Serve with new potatoes and salad.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Slimming World's roast dinner
By Slimming World • Published
Fish crumble pie
This week the Woman's Weekly kitchen brings you an easy fish pie recipe with delicious smoked haddock and a golden-toasted oat crumble topping
By Jessica Dady • Published
Harissa roast chicken with jewelled cous cous
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Rosemary Conley's beef steak pie
This healthy beef steak pie is packed with a lean meat and topped with a delicious flaky golden pastry topping.
By Rosemary Conley • Published
You don't need a traditional clay oven to make naan. Learn how to make naan bread in a frying pan - for wonderfully light, fluffy bread every time...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Chicken and bacon risotto
Chicken and bacon risotto is a quick and easy meal for the whole family. Our recipe takes just 40 minutes to prep and cook...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Aldi is selling a slow cooker that's perfect for autumn recipes and only £12.99!
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
Is the Wim Hof Method healthy? Wim Hof's new TV show Freeze the Fear explained
By Selina Maycock • Published
Is granola healthy? How it affects weight loss and healthiest granola brands
By Emily Stedman • Published