Enjoy these low-calorie spicy pan-seared tuna steaks with homemade chutney, which take just 20 minutes to make
- 1 good tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch of cayenne pepper or chilli powder
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 3tsp sunflower oil
- 2 tuna steaks, about 200-250g (7-8oz) total weight
- Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- 4 poppadoms, and plain yogurt, to serve
For the chutney:
- 2 medium-sized, ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- ½ small green chilli, deseeded and chopped, or 1 teaspoon sweet chilli sauce
- 1 large handful of mint leaves (about 12), washed
- 2tsp sunflower or olive oil
- 1 lime
- Mix the ginger, garlic, spices, seasoning and 2tsp of oil in a large, shallow dish. Cut each tuna steak into 4 or 5 triangular pieces, and coat in marinade. Leave for 5-10 mins to marinate.
- To make the chutney: Put chopped tomato in a small blender or a large jug with a stick blender. Add the garlic, chilli or sauce, torn mint leaves and oil. Cut cheeks off the lime and set aside for serving. Squeeze juice from rest of lime into the tomato mixture and blend to a rough paste. Put in a serving bowl.
- Heat a frying pan, and, when piping hot, add remaining teaspoon of oil and the tuna and fry for a minute on each side.
- Serve the fish, garnished with the coriander leaves and lime cheeks, with the tomato and mint chutney, poppadoms, and yogurt.
Top Tip for making Spicy tuna with tomato and mint chutney
If you have a little more time, marinate the fish for up to an hour.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Easy tomato chutney
This easy tomato chutney is a tasty preserve that will go wonderfully with a variety of dishes such as cheese and biscuits, or delicious cold meats...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Plum chutney is simple to make when you know how. This easy recipe makes sweet & tangy chutney perfect for cold cuts or cheese or given as a food gift...
By Nichola Palmer • Last updated
Beetroot chutney is a delicious condiment that is so easy to make. It will be a wonderful addition to your cheeseboard and makes a super sandwich filling...
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Rosemary Conley's beef steak pie
This healthy beef steak pie is packed with a lean meat and topped with a delicious flaky golden pastry topping.
By Rosemary Conley • Published
You don't need a traditional clay oven to make naan. Learn how to make naan bread in a frying pan - for wonderfully light, fluffy bread every time...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Chicken and bacon risotto
Chicken and bacon risotto is a quick and easy meal for the whole family. Our recipe takes just 40 minutes to prep and cook...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Is the Wim Hof Method healthy? Wim Hof's new TV show Freeze the Fear explained
By Selina Maycock • Published
Is granola healthy? How it affects weight loss and healthiest granola brands
By Emily Stedman • Published
This 11p lunch is perfect for saving money as living costs rise
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published