Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Sticky plum upside down tray bake is sure to bring back childhood memories. It may be typically enjoyed with pineapple, but it goes well with plums too. This fruit is low in calories and contains plenty of vitamins and minerals. Top your tray bake with pomegranate seeds and pistachios for extra texture (and nutrients!). This recipe serves 18, so it's great to share at a party.
- 165g unsalted butter, softened
- 85g muscovado sugar
- 1½tsp vanilla extract
- 450g plums, stoned and halved
- 2 medium eggs
- 200g plain flour, sifted
- 1tsp cinnamon
- ½tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 175ml buttermilk
- 3tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 25g pistachios, finely chopped
- Heat the oven to 150C, gas 3. Grease and base line a 30x24cm Swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- Melt 35g butter, 25g sugar and ½tsp vanilla extract with 1tbsp water, mixing until smooth. Pour into the prepared tin, covering the base, and scatter over the plums.
- Cream the rest of the butter and sugar together in a bowl. Gradually beat in the remaining vanilla and the eggs. Fold in the flour, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda. Now add the buttermilk and mix well. Spoon the mixture over the plums, then carefully spread to make an even layer. Bake for 25 mins. Serve warm or cold, scattered with the pomegranate seeds and pistachios.
Top Tip for making Sticky plum upside down tray bake
Store this cake in an airtight container somewhere cool and eat within 2 days of baking.