Give dinner time a Japanese makeover with this classic yakitori recipe served with soft grilled spring onions and fluffy Basmati rice. The chicken is marinated in soy sauce, sherry vinegar, honey and sesame oil for a flavoursome treat. You can have this made in just 20 minutes to satisfy hungry tummies quickly.
- 4tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3tbsp runny honey
- 2tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2tsp sesame oil
- 400g mini chicken breast fillets
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed, quartered
- 1tsp vegetable oil
- 280g packet Basmati rice (we used Vetee Dine In)
- Preheat the grill to high and line a grill pan with foil. Meanwhile, mix the soy sauce, honey, vinegar and sesame oil in a shallow dish.
- Add the chicken and stir to coat completely in the soy mixture.
- Put the chicken and marinade on the lined grill pan and grill for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken, push up one end of the pan and arrange the spring onions on the other. Drizzle with vegetable oil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Microwave rice according to packet instructions. Serve the chicken and spring onions with the rice.
Top Tip for making Sticky yakitori chicken
If you’re cooking your own rice, measure by volume, not weight. You’ll need 150ml rice and 300ml salted water. Cover, bring to the boil and cookfor 10 minutes until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.