Gazpacho is soup served cold and makes a great starter on a warm summer's day. This recipe makes the dish even more summery by using strawberries in a savoury dish. The sweetness of the fruit adds a lovely dimension of flavour to the other ingredients - red peppers, cucumber and spring onions. You won't believe it works until you try it!
- 600g fresh ripe strawberries, hulled
- 1 red pepper, quartered, deseeded
- 1⁄2 a cucumber
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and crushed, optional
- 1tbsp fresh tarragon leaves
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4tbsp olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Marcona almonds, lightly roasted, and bread, to serve
For the garnish:
- Tarragon leaves
- Ice cubes
- Chervil leaves
- Keep back about 125g of the best-looking strawberries, a quarter of the pepper and a 5cm piece of the cucumber. Put them in a bag and keep chilled.
- Roughly chop the rest of the strawberries, put them in a large bowl and mash lightly. Dice the rest of the pepper and peel, deseed and dice the rest of the cucumber. Add to the berries along with the spring onions, garlic, if using, tarragon, vinegar, oil and seasoning. Mix and mash together, then cover and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- Tip the mixture into a blender and whizz until smooth. Check the seasoning, add a little water if you want to thin it down. Chill until ready to serve.
- To make the garnish: Dice the reserved strawberries, pepper and cucumber. Mix in finely snipped tarragon leaves. Pour the soup into the bowls, add a few ice cubes and spoon in the garnish. Grind black pepper over and drizzle with oil. Garnish with chervil. Serve straight away with almonds and bread.
Top Tip for making Strawberry gazpacho
Serve with warm crusty bread for the perfect lunch
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Rosemary Conley's butternut squash soup
Rosemary Conley's butternut squash soup recipe is delicious, so easy to make and the perfect winter warmer.
By Rosemary Conley • Published
Spring vegetable soup
This delicious homemade veg soup recipe is so easy. Capture the freshness and flavour of spring vegetables in this delicious soup you can whip it up in no time!
By Jessica Dady • Published
Soya bean and pea soup
Looking for soup recipes, vegan soup recipes, vegetarian soup recipes, low fat soup recipes or healthy soup recipes? Made in minutes with frozen peas, rocket, basil, stock and soya beans, this hearty soup is low-calorie but tastes deliciously full fat!
By Jessica Dady • Published
Chicken and tarragon risotto
An easy and delicious chicken and tarragon risotto jewelled with green peas and flavoured with this delicate aniseed-y herb.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Chicken, broccoli and rosemary risotto
This simple chicken, broccoli and rosemary risotto couldn't be easier and the warming flavours make it the perfect comfort food fix
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Hairy Bikers Shropshire fidget pie
Hairy Bikers' Shropshire fidget pie is an absolutely classic traditional meat pie made with ham and cooking apples and featured on the Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain.
By Hairy Bikers • Published