Gazpacho is soup served cold and makes a great starter on a warm summer's day. This recipe makes the dish even more summery by using strawberries in a savoury dish. The sweetness of the fruit adds a lovely dimension of flavour to the other ingredients - red peppers, cucumber and spring onions. You won't believe it works until you try it!
- 600g fresh ripe strawberries, hulled
- 1 red pepper, quartered, deseeded
- 1⁄2 a cucumber
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and crushed, optional
- 1tbsp fresh tarragon leaves
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4tbsp olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Marcona almonds, lightly roasted, and bread, to serve
For the garnish:
- Tarragon leaves
- Ice cubes
- Chervil leaves
- Keep back about 125g of the best-looking strawberries, a quarter of the pepper and a 5cm piece of the cucumber. Put them in a bag and keep chilled.
- Roughly chop the rest of the strawberries, put them in a large bowl and mash lightly. Dice the rest of the pepper and peel, deseed and dice the rest of the cucumber. Add to the berries along with the spring onions, garlic, if using, tarragon, vinegar, oil and seasoning. Mix and mash together, then cover and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- Tip the mixture into a blender and whizz until smooth. Check the seasoning, add a little water if you want to thin it down. Chill until ready to serve.
- To make the garnish: Dice the reserved strawberries, pepper and cucumber. Mix in finely snipped tarragon leaves. Pour the soup into the bowls, add a few ice cubes and spoon in the garnish. Grind black pepper over and drizzle with oil. Garnish with chervil. Serve straight away with almonds and bread.
Top Tip for making Strawberry gazpacho
Serve with warm crusty bread for the perfect lunch
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady • Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Gordon Ramsay's pumpkin soup with wild mushrooms
Gordon Ramsay's pumpkin soup is an autumn winner. He says: 'I adore this smooth, velvety soup. For a touch of luxury, I’m adding wild mushrooms – their warm, earthy flavour complements sweet, nutty pumpkin beautifully.'
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Is the Wim Hof Method healthy? Wim Hof's new TV show Freeze the Fear explained
By Selina Maycock • Published
Adele's exciting summer plans with Rich Paul rumored to include huge event
Adele is reportedly engaged to boyfriend Rich Paul after nearly two years of dating
By Emma Dooney • Published