Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
All the flavours of an old-fashioned milkshake are combined in the delicious fruity frosting on this sponge milkshake bar. Loaded with strawberry shake powder, dried strawberries and frosting drizzled with strawberry sweets this easy to follow recipe is not only a treat for your taste buds but for your eyes also. You can prep this easy cake in just over half an hour, so it can easily be whipped up on a week-night as a special treat, and the kids will absolutely love you for it.
- 6 large egg whites
- 250g pack unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 450g golden caster sugar
- 125ml natural yogurt
- 125ml milk
- 400g self-raising flour
- 7g freeze-dried strawberries
For the filling and decoration:
- 250g pack unsalted butter
- 450g icing sugar
- 8tbsp instant strawberry milkshake powder
- Pink food colouring paste
- 2 x 280g packs full-fat cream cheese
- 15g freeze-dried strawberries
- 300ml double cream
- 2tbsp strawberry jam, warmed and sieved
- 12 strawberry milkshake sweets
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Whisk the egg whites in a clean, grease-free bowl, until softly peaking.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, until pale and fluffy. Gradually whisk in the yogurt and milk, then gently mix in the flour and freeze-dried strawberries. Carefully fold the egg whites into the mixture, until evenly combined. Divide the cake mixture between the tins and bake for 20 mins, until the cakes shrink away from the tin sides and a cocktail stick inserted in the centre of each cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Put the butter in a food processor and blend to soften. Add the icing sugar, strawberry milkshake powder and a drop of pink food colouring paste. Blend until smoothly combined.
- Add the cream cheese and mix for 5-10 secs, to evenly mix in (don’t keep the motor running longer than necessary.)
- Spread the milkshake frosting over each layer of cake and stack them up, then spread it around the sides.
- Spread the freeze-dried strawberries in a strip on some baking parchment. Lift up the cake, holding the top and bottom and press the two long sides in the strawberries, to coat. Put onto a serving plate.
- Spread the remaining frosting on top of the cake. Whip the cream until softly peaking. Spoon into piping bag and pipe large swirls along the tops sides of the cake.
- Drizzle over the jam and decorate with strawberry milkshake sweets.