Sweet roasted peppers packed with a spicy minced lamb, onion and raisin stuffing. Delicious!
For the stuffing:
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 12 green or red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1tsp sugar
- 1tbsp each ground
- Cinnamon and garam masala
- 1tsp turmeric
- 2tbsp each pine nuts and currants or raisins
- 250g (8oz) lean minced lamb
- 4tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Thin lemon wedges, to serve
- 4 Romano peppers, red or multicoloured
- To make the stuffing: Heat the oil in a heavy pan, add the onion and cook gently for 5 mins. Add the garlic and chillies, fry for a min, then add the sugar, spices, pine nuts and currants or raisins, and continue to fry until the onions are golden. Set aside to cool.
- Set the oven to 190°C or gas mark 5. Mix the lamb and coriander into the onion mixture and season well.
- Halve the peppers lengthways, and deseed. Spoon stuffing into the peppers and put them in a deep-ish buttered roasting tin or baking dish, with 4tbsp water. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 40 mins, uncover and bake for another 10 mins, until the peppers are just tender.
- Serve with lemon wedges and rice or bread. (Not suitable for freezing).
Top Tip for making Stuffed Romano peppers
Pointed Romano peppers are even milder, juicier and sweeter than the more-familiar bell peppers, so use them where you can.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Baked stuffed peppers
This recipe for roasted bacon and egg stuffed peppers is a classic woman's weekly recipe taken from 1958. Stuff the peppers with bacon, egg and breadrumbs and spinkle with plenty of cheese. Bake for 50 mins and serve hot with peas or salad.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Baked lamb steaks
These baked lamb steaks are easy to cook in the pan with potatoes and cherry tomatoes, and each portion comes in under 400 calories. A great weekend supper idea.
By Jessica Dady Published
Easy Mediterranean stuffed peppers
These delicious stuffed peppers are filled with melted Edam and make a great midweek meal. They're easy to make but look very impressive and will brighten up dinner time with the colourful peppers!
By Jessica Dady Last updated
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published