Typical of southern India, this starter is ideal for a party, as it can be prepared ahead
For the dip:
- 3tbsp thick natural yogurt
- 4 tbsp dessicated coconut
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
For the prawns:
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste 2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 1/4tsp crushed chillies
- 1tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1/2tsp ground coriander
- 450g large raw peeled prawns
- Combine the dip ingredients, season well; chill until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, combine the tamarind, sugar and spices in a large non metallic bowl. Season well and add the prawns. Stir to coat and set to one side to marinate.
- Preheat the grill to its hottest. Skewer prawns and grill for about 5-8 mins until cooked through, spooning over any excess marinade. Serve the prawns with the yogurt dip, crisp salad leaves and plenty of fresh limes for squeezing over.