A complete meal in itself, this tuna and chickpea salad is delicious served with crusty bread. This salad can be served for lunch, packed lunch or as a main meal and is inexpensive to make. You could use any type of fish in this recipe – hot smoked salmon, tinned salmon, mackerel or salmon fillets all make very good alternatives. Packed with goodness and Omega 3, it is a deliciously healthy meal.
- 225g tinned tuna in olive oil
- 410g can chickpeas
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 small, ripe avocado, sliced
- 20g capers
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g bag rocket
- Drain the tuna and reserve the oil. Put the tuna into a large bowl and break into flakes with a fork.
- Drain the chickpeas and add them to the bowl.
- Stir in the onion, avocado, capers and coriander.
- Put the lemon juice, vinegar and reserved tuna oil into a small bowl. Add the seasoning and whisk together.
- Pour the dressing into the tuna salad, add the rocket and lightly toss everything together. Serve immediately.
Top Tip for making Tuna and chickpea salad
If you are making the salad ahead of when you need it, add the dressing just before serving to keep everything crisp.