Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Turkey and mushroom pie has a flakey puff pastry with a delicious meat and vegetable filling.
This turkey and mushroom pie is a great way to use up your leftover turkey after Christmas day - or roast chicken after a weekend roast dinner. But it’s so easy to put together, and so delicious, it’s actually worth cooking some fresh turkey breast for it - then you can have it at any time of year. If you are using leftovers, don’t worry if they don’t amount to a full 500g that the recipe states. You can up the mushroom quantity to make the difference and it will still taste meaty.
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g (18oz) diced British turkey breast
- 2 leeks, washed and thickly sliced
- 150g (5oz) button mushrooms, wiped and quartered
- Sprig of thyme, leaves picked
- 15g (½ oz) butter
- 1tbsp plain flour
- 300ml (½ pt) milk
- Chicken stock cube
- Black pepper
- Pack ready-made puff pastry
- Little milk and beaten egg for glazing
- Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7. Heat oil in a frying pan and brown the turkey. Add the leeks, mushrooms and thyme leaves and fry for about 10 mins until softened and slightly caramelised.
- Meanwhile. make a white sauce: melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the flour, stirring well with a wooden spoon to make a paste. Cook for 1 min. Pour over the milk a little at a time, whisking continually until you have a thick sauce. Crumble in the stock cube and season with pepper to taste.
- Mix the turkey mixture with the sauce and pour filling into a deep pie dish.
- Grease the edges of the pie dish with a little butter. Roll out the pastry and transfer to the pie dish to make a lid. Trim the pastry from around the edges and press down to seal.
- Brush milk or egg over the pastry to glaze it. Prick it with a fork and place in the oven at 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7) for 15-20 mins. The pastry should be risen and golden brown when you take it out.
- Allow the pie to stand for 5-10 mins, then serve with a simple boiled vegetable accompaniment.
Top tips for making this turkey and mushroom pie
It’s worth using chestnut mushrooms if possible, as they have a better texture for pies.
You might also like...
Gordon Ramsay turkey (opens in new tab)
Turkey and cranberry pie (opens in new tab)
Turkey and ham pie (opens in new tab)