Give your turkey a fruity twist by serving it with a sweet cherry and breadcrumb stuffing. Well worth the effort, this roast will give your turkey plenty of flavour
- 1 turkey breast — we used a 640g/1½lb butter-basted turkey joint
- 425g can cherries, drained
- 75g (2½oz) breadcrumbs
- Handful chopped flat parsley
- ½ level tsp ground mixed spice
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 med egg
For the sauce:
- 250ml (8fl oz) syrup from the can of cherries
- 1-2 tbsp cherry wine or brandy, optional
- ½ level tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp thickening granules
- 2 med-sized sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
- Set the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Put the turkey breast, skin-side down, on a piece of cling film, on a board. Make a few slashes across the flesh and gently pull it out, then cover with cling film. Bash it all over, using a rolling pin, to make the meat an oblong of fairly even thickness, about 30 x 23cm (12 x 9in). Snip out any tendons and trim to an even shape, using the trimmings to patch thinner parts of the turkey breast.
- Set aside 12 cherries for the sauce. Mix the rest with the breadcrumbs, parsley, spice and seasoning, then bind with the egg.
- Spread the stuffing over the fillet, leaving a border, and roll it up into a neat shape, and tie it at intervals with string, to make a roll. Fit the roll back snugly into the foil container (buttered) that the turkey breast came in, or in a 900g (2lb) buttered loaf tin, keeping it open at the top. Dot the top with a little butter. Roast for 1 hour 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, blanch the sweet potato wedges, drain and toss in a little oil. Add to the turkey and roast for 1 hour, turning them halfway through cooking.
- To make the sauce: When the turkey joint is cooked, pour the juices into a pan with the syrup from the can of cherries, the cherry wine or brandy (if using) and spice. Boil until reduced by about a third, then whisk in the granules to make a sauce, and add the cherries. Slice the turkey roll and serve with sauce, potato wedges and green vegetables.
Top Tip for making Turkey and black cherry roll
Turkey breast is available at Tesco and from Kelly Bronze.