White wine, mustard and tasty Cheddar add tons of flavour to this simple, herby root veg and carrot casserole hotpot. It’s the perfect winter warmer!
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 500g (18oz) Brussels sprouts
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and sliced
- 2tsp dried mixed herbs
- 100g (4oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 300ml (½ pt) hot vegetable stock
- 2tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 150ml (¼ pt) dry white wine
- 50g (2oz) mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Layer all the vegetables in a deep-sided casserole dish. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper between each layer and sprinkle a little of the dried mixed herbs.
Mix together the stock, mustard and white wine and pour over the vegetables. Cover tightly and cook for 1hr 30 mins
Mix together the breadcrumbs and cheese. Uncover the hotpot and press the breadcrumb mixture on top of the vegetables.
Return to the oven for a further 20-25 mins until the breadcrumb topping is crisp and golden.
Top tip for making Vegetable hotpot
For an additional touch sprinkle bacon bits on to the breadcrumbs before cooking.