Cooking for veggies doesn't have to be boring. Spice up the evening with this simple-to-make curry packed with fresh vegetables for an unforgettable dinner
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 eating apple, cored and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2tbsp balti curry paste
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 150g cauliflower or broccoli, broken into florets
- 200g canned chickpeas, drained
- 150g marinated tofu pieces
- 300ml (½ pint) vegetable stock
- 200g brown long grain rice (or use white long grain rice)
- 50g frozen peas, thawed
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, apple and garlic and stir-fry for 2-3 mins. Stir in the curry paste and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes, cauliflower or broccoli, chickpeas, tofu and stock. Simmer, partially covered, for 25-30 mins, adding a little extra stock or water if the curry looks like it is getting too dry.
- At the same time, cook the brown rice in gently boiling water for 25-30 mins, or until tender. (If you are using white rice, it will only take 12 mins to cook).
- Add the peas to the curry and heat for a few moments. Season with some pepper, if needed. Drain the rice thoroughly and serve with the curry.
Top Tip for making Vegetarian curry with tofu
You can substitute Quorn pieces for the marinated tofu and instead of chickpeas, use 200g potatoes cut into small chunks.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Stewed apples recipe
This stewed apples recipe is easy to make and versatile. Use use them to make apple pie, crumble or serve with roast pork. Ready in 30 minutes...
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe is perfect for vegetarians. It's packed full of delicious veggies with plenty of flavour too thanks to the chilli, cardamom and curry paste
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Slimming World's chilli and cauliflower rice recipe
This Slimming World chilli and cauliflower rice is easy to make, but healthy and satisfying to eat - the perfect mid-week supper that will please the whole family!
By Slimming World • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney • Published
Is the Wim Hof Method healthy? Wim Hof's new TV show Freeze the Fear explained
By Selina Maycock • Published