Veggie chilli pie is a warming and healthy dish for an easy week night meal to feed the whole family. This veggie chilli pie takes your average pie up a few notches with the crunchy tortilla and cheese topping. Filled with veggies and a little bit spicy, this mouthwatering veggie chilli pie will make even the biggest meat eaters come in for seconds. Serve this veggie chilli pie as a meat free alternative at a Mexican themed dinner, with all your favourite mexican sides, or just skip the meat and serve this as your main. Even meat eaters will love this smoky and spicy pie.
- 2tbsp mild olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 mixed peppers, sliced
- 1 ancho chilli, rehydrated and finely chopped
- 1 chipotle chilli, rehydrated and finely chopped
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tbsp oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 400g carton passata
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1tbsp sugar
- 300ml veg stock
- 400g can black beans
- ½ large bag tortilla crisps
- 100g vegetarian cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a large casserole to a medium heat and cook the onion and peppers for 10 minutes, or until soft. Add the chillies, coriander, cumin, oregano and garlic and fry for 2 minutes, until aromatic and the garlic is beginning to go translucent.
- Add the passata, red wine vinegar, sugar, stock and black beans. Cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Cover the top with tortilla crisps and cheese and put under a medium grill for 5 minutes, or until golden and crisp. You can make this dish ahead, then before serving, cover with the tortilla crisps and cheese and reheat in the oven.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Easy cottage pie recipe
This classic cottage pie recipe is a family favourite and really easy to make...
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Filo pastry mince pies
Filo pastry mince pies are so easy to make and ready in 30 minutes, with a crispy base, plenty of mincemeat and a sweet marzipan top
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
James Martin cottage pie
James Martin cottage pie is a twist on the classic pie, using tinned ingredients to make it even easier to cook. This pie feeds four and makes a great family dinner.
By James Martin • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Royal Family's Christmas dinner menu at Windsor Castle confuses fans
Royal fans have been left baffled by the Christmas dinner menu's unfamiliar language
By Emma Dooney • Published
The Queen's hilariously clever trick to get guests to dinner in a timely manner
Queen Elizabeth II's clever way she got guests to dinner promptly.
By Selina Maycock • Published