Wagamama has revealed how to make one of their most popular dishes, so now everyone can enjoy their famous katsu chicken curry recipe at home.
The secret to Wagamama's signature chicken katsu curry is the combination of curry powder, turmeric, chicken stock, coconut milk, and soy sauce, along with onions, garlic, and ginger. Serve with carrot ribbons, to really feel like you're dining in at a Wagamama restaurant - and, don't forget the chopsticks.
During lockdown, the restaurant chain Wagamama launched a series of online tutorials to show us all how to make their famous Japanese -style dishes at home. In this video, Global Executive chef for Wagamama Steve Mangleshot shows you how to make chicken katsu curry. He advises, "With the coconut milk, you can add as much or as little as you like. It says 100 ml in the recipe, we think that's a good amount, but if you like it really creamy you can add more."
Watch how to make Wagamama's Chicken Katsu curry
For the sauce:
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2.3 piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 300ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 100ml coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- 120g rice (any type)
- Katsu carry sauce (see above)
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 50g plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- 75ml vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 40g mixed salad leaves
- For the sauce, start to soften the onions, garlic and ginger. Then add curry powder, turmeric. Allow to sit on a low to medium heat. Add the flour, cook for 1 minute with the spices. Add the chicken stock slowly, followed by the 100ml coconut milk. Add pinch of sugar, salt and dash of soy sauce.
- Split chicken fillets in half and coat in flour. Soak each one in egg, then dip into breadcrumbs. Make sure all sides of the chicken are covered, then put into the pan. Cook fillets until golden brown.
- Strain curry sauce through a sieve, a little bit at a time.
- Slice the chicken into lengths and plate up next to the rice. Add salad, or wok-fried greens to the plate alongside, then drench in curry sauce. Serve hot and enjoy!
Top tip for making Wagamama's chicken katsu curry:
To adapt this recipe for vegetarians or vegans, you could substitute the chicken with aubergine or sweet potato
Grace Walsh is a Features Writer for Goodto.com, covering breaking news health stories during the Covid-19 pandemic as well as lifestyle and entertainment topics. She has worked in media since graduating from the University of Warwick in 2019 with a degree in Classical Civilisation and a year spent abroad in Italy. It was here that Grace caught the bug for journalism, after becoming involved in the university’s student newspaper and radio station.
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe is perfect for vegetarians. It's packed full of delicious veggies with plenty of flavour too thanks to the chilli, cardamom and curry paste
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken recipe is so easy to make at home and tastes delicious too. It includes a butter chicken sauce and spice rub for the chicken.
By Gordon Ramsay • Last updated
Hairy Bikers' chicken curry
Chicken curry has to be one of our favourite recipes. You'll never look back once you've tried The Hairy Bikers' chicken curry recipe - it's so easy
By Hairy Bikers • Published
Rosemary Conley's beef steak pie
This healthy beef steak pie is packed with a lean meat and topped with a delicious flaky golden pastry topping.
By Rosemary Conley • Published
You don't need a traditional clay oven to make naan. Learn how to make naan bread in a frying pan - for wonderfully light, fluffy bread every time...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Chicken and bacon risotto
Chicken and bacon risotto is a quick and easy meal for the whole family. Our recipe takes just 40 minutes to prep and cook...
By Sue McMahon • Published
This 11p lunch is perfect for saving money as living costs rise
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
TOWIE star Billie Faiers left furious after stranger slaps son Arthur over mid-air flight 'tantrum'
By Selina Maycock • Last updated
Salmonella sandwich fears at M&S, Aldi, Sainsbury's plus other supermarkets as they recall popular lunch items
By Selina Maycock • Published