Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Not just for sunshine days, this Spanish winter paella is easy to make. Serving 4 people and ready in just 45 mins, this speedy paella combines a handful of veggies together, including carrots, celery and yellow pepper, to make a Spanish classic with a veggie twist.
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 sticky celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red and yellow pepper, sliced
- 2tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1tbsp tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- small bunch of thyme
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 500g paella rice
- 250ml white wine
- 1litre vegetable stock
- 200g curly kale, stalks removed and shredded
- 200g frozen peas
- ½x400g jar mild Peppadew peppers, sliced
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat the oil in a paella pan or large deep pan and fry the onions, celery and carrots for 5 mins until lightly browned. Add the peppers and season, then cook for another 5 mins until softened.
- Add the paprika and tomato paste and stir for 1 min until fragrant, then add the garlic, thyme and chilli.
- Add the rice, stir for 1 min, then pour in the white wine. Bring to the boil and cook for 3 mins, then pour in the stock. Bring back to the boil, then gently simmer for 20 mins, stirring occasionally, until the rice is almost tender and there’s very little liquid left.
- Blanch the kale in boiling water for 2 mins, then add to the pan with the frozen peas and cook for 5 mins. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the Peppadew peppers and serve with lemon wedges.
Top Tip for making Winter paella
If you want to turn this dish into a meat feast add cooked chicken or lamb to the mix right at the last step and reheat