A mum has been left with horrific burns after her hot water bottle exploded in bed.
Bree Schulz from New South Wales, Australia, suffered horrific burns and was left in such excruciating pain that she suffered a seizure after her hot water bottle exploded in bed.
Speaking to Australian news organisation 9 News, the 21-year-old said that her husband had filled her hot water bottle with boiling water to keep her warm throughout the night, as it is currently winter in Australia.
Generally, hot water bottle users are told never to fill with boiling water because of the potential danger of scalding your skin.
Bree said that the hot water bottle was in bed next to her and that she wasn’t touching or lying on it, when she rolled in the opposite direction to give her husband a cuddle.
‘As I did that, the hot water bottle exploded all over me,’ she said.
‘It was excruciatingly painful, like nothing I’d ever felt before. I’m a mum, and I had a very bad labour with my son - we almost lost our lives - and in a way I would rather go through that pain again than the pain of the burns.’
The mum-of-one suffered from third degree burns on her back and second degree burns on her arms, resulting in permanent scars and possibly months of rehabilitation in order to regain full use of her hands.
As a result of Bree’s extensive injuries, her husband, Tyson, has had to leave his job in order to take care of the couple’s three-year-old son.
Friends went on to set up a GoFundMe page for the family to help them through this difficult time and Tyson took to the thread to share pictures of Bree’s shocking injuries.
‘Healing is going very well,’ he wrote. ‘These are some photos from when she was in hospital.
‘Bree and I would just like to take a moment to thank everyone who has shared the story and especially everyone who has donated to us.’
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Aleesha Badkar is a lifestyle writer who specialises in health, beauty - and the royals. After completing her MA in Magazine Journalism at the City, the University of London in 2017, she interned at Women’s Health, Stylist, and Harper’s Bazaar, creating features and news pieces on health, beauty, and fitness, wellbeing, and food. She loves to practice what she preaches in her everyday life with copious amounts of herbal tea, Pilates, and hyaluronic acid.
Is the Stokke Sleepi set to become as iconic as the Tripp Trapp?
The Stokke Sleepi set cotbed looks good and lasts (and lasts). Find out what our reviewer thought about the trendy design and features.
By Heidi Scrimgeour Published
18 cosy gifts that feel like a big hug in winter - to treat yourself or a loved one
If the colder months make you, or someone you know, want to hibernate until spring, check out these cosy buys that will see you through in the toastiest of fashion
By Sarah Handley Published