This stunning lamb dish will impress your dinner party guests - but it couldn't be simpler to make
3 trimmed racks of lamb, each about 275-350g (9-12oz)For the topping:
- 50g can anchovies in oil
- 50g (1¾oz) white breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Position one oven shelf towards the base of the oven for the potatoes (see potato gratin recipe), and then the shelf above it fairly high for the lamb. Set the oven to 220°C or Gas Mark 7.
- Place 2 racks of lamb on the baking tray, with the bones facing inwards and interlocking. Cut the 3rd rack in half, interlock these, and place next to the other racks on the baking tray.
- To make the topping: Remove the anchovies from the oil, reserving the oil. Finely chop the anchovies and then mix them with the breadcrumbs, basil, pepper and the oil from the can. Press the mixture on to the outside surfaces of the racks of lamb.
- Place the baking tray on the top oven shelf and roast the lamb for 20-25 minutes, or until the topping is starting to crisp and the lamb is cooked to your liking. If you prefer the lamb to be well cooked, then it will take longer. Remove the lamb from the oven, cover with foil and leave it in a warm place for about 5 minutes, before carving it for serving.
- Alternatively, the lamb may be left in the oven, and the oven turned off . You can leave it there for up to 10-15 minutes, to keep it warm if you're not quite ready to eat it.
Top Tip for making Anchovy-crusted lamb
Serve with potato gratin and glazed carrots. The lamb may be prepared up to the end of step 3 up to a day in advance. Cover the prepared racks of lamb with cling film and keep them chilled until serving.
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Baked lamb steaks
These baked lamb steaks are easy to cook in the pan with potatoes and cherry tomatoes, and each portion comes in under 400 calories. A great weekend supper idea.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Lamb pie with rosemary pastry
This lamb, leek and potato pie with rosemary pastry is the perfect weekend or dinner party dish.
By Rosemary Shrager • Published
Healthy fish and chips
Healthy fish and chips is a lightened up version of a Friday night fish supper. The flavour packed crumb coating is a great alternative to batter.
By Jess Findlay • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Is Gone Fishing coming back and how many episodes are there?
Fans are wondering if Gone Fishing is coming back on TV starring Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse.
By Selina Maycock • Last updated
Prince Harry has ‘changed so much’ from the ‘free, easy going boy’ he once was, says Princess Diana’s former butler
“He needs to take accountability for the part he has played and the stress he has caused his family”
By Charlie Elizabeth Culverhouse • Published
Is the Wim Hof Method healthy? Wim Hof's new TV show Freeze the Fear explained
By Selina Maycock • Published