A healthy, low-fat, Spanish-style fish recipe with juicy cod and chorizo-infused beans that's perfect for Diabetics.
Our guide on how to prepare and cook broad beans will make this recipe even easier!
- 50g cooking chorizo, skinned and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1tsp oregano leaves, roughly chopped
- 250g podded or frozen baby broad beans (or 125g frozen soya beans)
- 500g new potatoes cut into 5mm slices
- ½tsp each ground cumin and coriander
- 1tsp paprika
- ½tsp turmeric
- 2tsp clear honey
- Lemon juice
- 4 x 125g cod fillets with skin
- Spray olive oil
- Put the chorizo in a hot non-stick pan and cook over a medium heat until it releases its red oils. Add the onion, garlic and oregano leaves and cook for 5-7 mins until the onion has softened, adding a splash of water, as necessary.
- Add the beans and potatoes with 250ml water. Cover with a circle of wet greaseproof paper and a lid and cook over a very low heat for 30-40 mins. Do not allow to dry out, top up with water as needed.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF/gas mark 7. Combine the spices with the honey and sufficient lemon juice to make a thin paste. Use to coat the flesh side of the cod.
- Spray a non-stick ovenproof frying pan with olive oil. Over a high heat cook the cod, skin side down, for 5 mins, then place in the oven for 10 mins until golden and very lightly caramelized.
- Divide the bean mixture between four warm plates then top with the cod.
Top Tip for making Antony Worrall Thompson's spiced cod and beans
This recipe contains 31g carbohydrates per serving, but if you need extra carbs, just add in extra spuds
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
After leaving school, Antony Worrall Thompson studied hotel management before taking his first catering job in Essex. It wasn’t long until he was in a professional kitchen though as at the young age of 27 he moved to London and became the sous-chef at Brinkley’s Restaurant on Fulham Road. Over the years Antony has produced 32 books and counting, some of which focus on good healthy eating.
White Fish and Chorizo Stew
Our white fish and chorizo stew is a really simple dish but full of flavour.
By Samuel Goldsmith Published
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge Published
Low-fat carrot soup
This low-fat carrot soup is so easy to make. Serve it with crusty wholemeal bread for a healthy lunch or starter.
By Jessica Ransom Published