These layered chocolate delights are made with avocado to make them extra virtuous.
Avocado chocolate mousse is a delicious, healthy, vegan alternative to a chocolate mousse. Our pyjama striped treat for the eyes and the taste buds. It is also deceptively healthy. Chocolate and avocado are whipped together with maple syrup and layered with vanilla whipped coconut cream. The flavour of the avocado is completely masked by the richness of the chocolate and it creates a beautifully creamy chocolate mousse.
This is also a wonderful recipe to use up any slightly over-ripened avocados. Serve this with our shortbread if you wanted to add a textural element to dessert. Or if you wanted a simplified recipe give our three-ingredient mousse a try. Avocados are an excellent source of monounsaturated fat and vitamin E and have a more soluble form of fibre than most other fruit and vegetables.
- 75g dark chocolate
- 600ml coconut cream
- 150ml maple syrup
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 vanilla pod, sliced carefully in half with the seeds removed
- 2 ripe avocados
- Edible flowers or fresh berries (optional)
- Place 400ml of the coconut cream in the fridge for a minimum 3 hours, ideally over night. When you are ready to make the mouse: pour away the liquid, add a half the vanilla seeds to the cream and with a hand mixer or standing mixer for 5 minutes, until aerated and fluffy.
- Break the chocolate into squares in a heatproof bowl. Set over a pan of boiling water – but make sure the bottom of the bowl isn’t touching the water. Stir in 200ml of coconut cream, honey, or maple syrup, cocoa powder and the remaining vanilla seeds and stir until smooth and melted.
- Hull out the flesh of the avocado into a blender or a food processor. Whizz with the melted chocolate mixture until silky smooth. In six glasses layer the coconut cream and the avocado mousse. Top with an edible flower or fresh berry.
Top Tip for making Avocado chocolate mousse
Once you have removed the seeds from the pod do not throw away pod as it can be used to infuse cream or milk.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Elisa is a chef, food stylist and journalist. She has also been the editorial director of food and drinks content for more than 40 magazines and websites. As well as being host of the brand new Careers Conversations series podcast at Food Matters Live.
Vegan basil pesto courgetti with tomatoes and chilli
It takes just four ingredients to make this simple, healthy courgette recipe infused with pesto...
By Jessica Dady Published
Espresso Martini chocolate pots
Whizz these Espresso Martini chocolate pots up in 10 minutes for your dinner party – a perfect, lightly boozy dessert...
By Jess Meyer Published
Vegan chilli pesto tagliatelle
A really simple dish to whip up for lunch or dinner using just five store cupboard ingredients...
By Jessica Dady Published