It takes just three easy steps to make these vegan-friendly cauliflower and broccoli steaks, drizzled in homemade Peri Peri sauce.
At just 84 calories per serving, these cauliflower and broccoli steaks are suitable for those on a calorie-counting diet. Follow our simple step-by-step to make homemade Peri Peri sauce to serve alongside these flavoursome chunks of vegetables. Chillies, garlic, red pepper, onion, lemon juice, and paprika give the Peri Peri sauce its sharp, spicy taste.
For the Peri Peri sauce:
- 4-6 Bird’s eye chillies
- 5 large garlic cloves
- 2 Red pepper
- 1 small onion (around 70g)
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp smoked Paprika
- 1tbsp dried rosemary
- 1tbsp dried oregano
- 1tsp sea salt
For the steaks:
- 2 cauliflowers and 2 broccolis, short thick stems are best
- 1tsp olive oil
- Put the sauce ingredients in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Test the heat and add more chillies if liked. For a looser consistency mix in some water.
- Cut each cauliflower and broccoli into three steaks around 1.5inch thick. Don’t throw away the offcuts of veg, simply freeze for another time or even better, blitz in a food processor and fry for a few minutes with a drizzle of oil to serve as a low-carb alternative to rice – this would go brilliantly with our dark soy cod skewers.
- Once your barbacue is hot, cook for 3-4 mins on each side until charred and tender when you insert a knife. Drizzle over approx 1tbsp of the Peri Peri sauce per steak and serve straight away.
Top tips for making cauliflower and broccoli steaks with Peri Peri sauce
This recipe will make approx a 400g jar of sauce, it will keep in the fridge for a week and can be mixed into hummus or yogurt and used as a dip or marinade meat or tofu in it.
You might also like…
More delicious vegan recipes
Foods for vegans: Shop-bought foods that are actually vegan
Vegan diet: How to go vegan
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jessica is a freelance food writer, stylist and recipe tester. She previously worked as Senior Food Writer at Future. While at Future Jessica wrote food and drink-related news stories and features, curated product pages, reviewed equipment, and developed recipes that she then styled on food shoots. She is an enthusiastic, self-taught cook who adores eating out and sharing great food and drink with friends and family. She has completed the Level 1 Associate course at the Academy of Cheese and is continually building on her knowledge of beers, wines, and spirits.
Vegan basil pesto courgetti with tomatoes and chilli
It takes just four ingredients to make this simple, healthy courgette recipe infused with pesto...
By Jessica Dady Published
Vegan chilli pesto tagliatelle
A really simple dish to whip up for lunch or dinner using just five store cupboard ingredients...
By Jessica Dady Published
Our vegan flapjacks take 15 minutes to cook and require just seven core ingredients.
By Rose Fooks Last updated