Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Our cheat’s chicken pie puff pastry lids mean you can whip up a chicken pie from scratch in no time at all!
Our cheat’s chicken pie puff pastry lids are so simple and they're great for when you're craving chicken pie in a hurry! Once you know the easy way to make a chicken pie with this quick recipe, you'll wonder why you ever did it any other way! This recipe serves 4 people and will take around 55 mins to cook. Each pie packed with tender cuts of chicken, a hearty stock bursting with flavour and plenty of veggies too including carrots and peas. This recipe also uses readymade puff pastry which speeds up the process of making it. You can however make your own puff pastry if you'd prefer - the choice is yours! These pies are best made and eaten on the same day. The filling can be separated from the pastry and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up 2 days. You could even blend and add a little water to make a chicken soup!
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 225g (8oz) shallots, halved
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 4 x 150g (5oz) skinless chicken fillets, cut into chunks
- 500g pot fresh chicken gravy
- 500g packet puff pastry
- Beaten egg, to glaze
- 50g (2oz) frozen peas
- Green beans, to serve
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add shallots and carrot, and fry for 4-5 mins. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Fry the chicken for 4-5 mins until browned, then stir in the gravy, shallots and carrots. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 mins until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7). Roll out the pastry and cut out four 13cm (5in) diameter rounds. Cut leaves from the trimmings and stick on the lids with a little beaten egg.
- Place the lids on a baking sheet and brush with beaten egg. Bake for 15-20 mins until risen and golden. Add the peas to the casserole and simmer for 2-3 mins until tender. Spoon casserole on to four warmed plates and top with pastry lids. Serve with green beans.
Top Tip for making Cheat’s chicken puff pies
We’ve used this recipe in our credit crunch meal planner. Click here to go back to week one of the planner.
To defrost frozen puff pastry, let it stand at room temperature for 6 hours - or pop it in the fridge overnight.