Add some cheese and onion to your mash recipe for a delicious taste and creamy texture. This side dish is simple and easy-to-make weilding a 4 person portion in only 30 minutes. The kids will love it as it has so much more flavour than regular mash, and a better alternative to salty store bought chips.
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 150g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 spring onions, trim and chopped
- 6tbsp milk
- Put potatoes in a pan with just enough water to cover. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 20 mins. Drain well. Meanwhile grate cheese chop spring onions.
- Add a large knob of butter to the pan, along with all but a handful of spring onions. Fry them for 1 min, then add milk and put potatoes back in.
- Warm through and mash well. Season and stir in most of the cheese.
- Serve sprinkled with the rest of the cheese and onions.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jessica Dady is Food Editor at GoodTo and has over 11 years of experience as a digital editor, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the must-buy seasonal food hampers and advent calendars for Christmas to the family-friendly air fryers that’ll make dinner time a breeze, Jessica loves trying and testing various food products to find the best of the best for the busy parents among us. Over the years of working with GoodTo, Jessica has had the privilege of working alongside Future’s Test Kitchen to create how-to videos exclusively for GoodtoEat - as well as writing, testing, and shooting her own recipes. When she’s not embracing the great outdoors with her family at the weekends, Jessica enjoys baking up a storm in the kitchen with her favourite bakes being chocolate chip cookies, cupcakes, and a tray of gooey chocolate brownies.