Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Celebrity chef Gizzi Erskine, shows you that you don't need to give up chocolate cake (opens in new tab) for good just beacause you're watching what you eat. Gizzi's chocolate and orange truffle cake is the thing of dreams! Not only is it completley rich and gooey, but it's much healthier for you than shop-bought cake because there are no added nasties! We love this chocolate and orange truffle cake for a dinner party dessert or just a mid-week treat for ourselves - who needs an excuse for chocolate orange truffle cake? Not us.
For the cake:
- 1 whole orange
- 125g fruit sugar
- 200g 70% dark chocolate, melted
- 100g ground almonds
- 3 free range eggs, separated
- ½tsp baking powder
For the icing:
- 150g 70% dark chocolate, melted
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3tbsp honey
- Put the orange in a microwave-proof bowl. Add 250ml water, cover with clingfilm and microwave on high for 20 mins, turning halfway through (or simmer for 1hr in a small saucepan). Leave to cool, still covered.
- Heat the oven to 180ºC. Line a 20cm round springform tin with baking parchment.
- Cut the orange in half and remove the pips. Put in the food processor with 5tbsp of the orangey liquid left in the pan and blitz to a smooth purée, scraping down the bowl a couple of times. Add the sugar, melted chocolate, almonds, egg yolks and baking powder, and whizz again to mix thoroughly. Tip into a large bowl.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry, and fold into the chocolate mixture. Spoon into the lined tin. Put the tin on a baking sheet, then in the oven. Bake for 50 mins, covering with a piece of foil or baking parchment halfway through to stop the top burning. Cool in the tin (may take 2hrs).
- To make the icing: mix the melted chocolate and orange zest then mix in the honey, which will make the icing go shiny. Transfer the cake onto a plate or cake stand then simply ice the top.
Top Tip for making Gizzi Erskine chocolate and orange truffle cake
List of equipment you'll need: Microwave-proof bowlMeasuring jugClingfilmSpringform tinBaking parchmentFood processorSmall saucepanLarge bowl WhiskLined tinBaking sheetFoilBowlCake stand
You might also like...
Chocolate orange cake (opens in new tab)
Chocolate brownies (opens in new tab)