Make a cheap cucumber and tomato pasta salad like our mummy blogger Anneliese, who says: 'We eat a lot of pasta in our house, so thank goodness you can buy it at a very reasonable price. We tend to buy a big bag at the beginning of the month and eat it in a variety of meals. Sometimes it makes a nice change to have a simple pasta salad for lunch or perhaps for an evening meal during the warm summer months. I often make a big batch before I head up to bed. I then separate it out, so that there is some for my husband to take to work, a helping for my son's lunchbox and enough for me and my toddler to eat at home. I just have to remember to take them out of the fridge in the morning!'
- 250g pasta, such as penne
- 2 eggs
- Half a cucumber, chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3-4tbsp mayonnaise
- First of all place your pasta and eggs in a large saucepan and cover in water from the tap. This means you can cook your pasta and eggs together and save on a bit on your gas or electricity bill!
- Place the saucepan on the hob over a moderate heat and bring to a rolling boil. Follow the instructions on the packet of pasta to predict cooking time but both the pasta and eggs should be cooked in about 10 minutes.
- Once both ingredients are cooked through, it's time to drain the pasta and eggs into a colander, then pour over some cold water to cool things down. The cold water will help stop the pasta sticking together. Tip the cold pasta back into the saucepan.
- When the eggs are cool enough to touch, peel away the shell then slice into chunks and add to the pasta in the pan.
- Now add the chopped cucumber and halved cherry tomatoes.
- Measure in the mayonnaise and give the mixture a good stir. Tuck in straight away or store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Top Tip for making Cucumber and tomato pasta salad
Try adding other veggies to the mix like red peppers, celery, red onion. Serve on a bed of salad leaves for an extra healthy spin
Author, writer and Mum of three, Anneliese Giggins has been creating recipes for Goodto.com for the past 9 years. She has also created food-related content for household names such as Daily Mail, Daily Express and Goodto.com. Her most successful to date was how to feed a family of 4 on £20 a week.
Prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon
Our prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon is so simple to make at home and is bursting with plenty of flavour - the perfect mid-week meal.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Slow cooker aubergine caponata pasta
Slow cooker aubergine caponata pasta is cooked for more than four hours for real warmth and flavour
By Octavia Lillywhite • Last updated
Quick pasta Niçoise
This quick pasta Niçoise is the ultimate easy lunch option - bright and delicious and only 300 calories per portion
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Tomato shortage 2023: Why are supermarkets running out of tomatoes in the UK?
As shoppers moan a lack of tomatoes in supermarkets, we've explained the reasons behind the tomato shortage affecting the UK in 2023.
By Emily Stedman • Last updated
Are Mini Eggs being discontinued?
With rumours that Cadbury's Mini Eggs are being discontinued, we've looked into the matter and explained what is really going on.
By Emily Stedman • Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney • Published