Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
The Hairy Bikers' have perfected this American classic. We love it served with mashed potato, soaked in the dish's rich gravy.
This delicious Hairy Bikers (opens in new tab) meatloaf recipe with gravy first featured on Si and Dave's Grand Mississippi Adventure TV show. Rather than focusing on one meat, this meatloaf recipe is made with a variety of three – beef, pork and sausagemeat. The result is an extra succulent and juicy meatloaf that produces a rich and unique gravy. You won't need any special tins or dishes to make this meatloaf, you can just mould it into the shape you want and pop it on an oven tray.
- 1 tbsp sunflower or corn oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stick, trimmed and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1–1½ tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 1 tbsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 300g lean minced beef
- 300g minced pork
- 450g sausagemeat
- 7tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 75g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 small bunch (around 20g) flat leaf parsley, leaves chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1tsp fine sea salt
- 2tbsp dark brown sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the gravy:
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 400ml beef or pork stock (fresh or made with ½ a stock cube)
- 1 tsp tomato ketchup
- To make the meatloaf: Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and gently fry the onion, carrot, celery and garlic for 10 minutes until well softened, stirring regularly.
- Stir the chilli powder and thyme into the pan and cook with the vegetables for a further 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and tip the contents into a large mixing bowl. Leave to cool for 10-15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Add the beef, pork, sausagemeat, 3 tbsp of the ketchup, 1 tbsp of the Worcestershire sauce, breadcrumbs, parsley, egg, salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper to the vegetables and mix with clean hands until thoroughly combined. The mixture should feel fairly stiff but moist.
- Place the meatloaf mixture in the centre of a sturdy baking tray or small roasting tin and form into a loaf shape roughly 28cm by 14cm, (it is important that the tin has sides). Mix the remaining 4 tbsp ketchup, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce and the sugar in a small bowl and spread over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 45 minutes until browned and firm. The loaf will have released lots of juice as it cooks but you can use this to make the gravy. Remove the loaf from the oven and transfer carefully to a warmed serving plate. Cover loosely with a piece of foil.
- To make the gravy: Place the baking tray or roasting tin on the hob over a low heat and stir the flour into the juices using a wooden spatula. Cook for 20-30 seconds, stirring continuously. Slowly start adding the stock, just a little at a time, stirring constantly until it is all incorporated. Stir in the 1 tsp ketchup.
- Bring the gravy to a simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring to lift the juices and sticky sediment from the base of the tin. If the gravy is a little lumpy, use a metal whisk to help combine the flour. Season with a little more salt and pepper if necessary. Strain the gravy through a sieve into a warmed jug.
- Cut the meatloaf into thick slices and serve with the gravy for pouring.
Top tip for making the Hairy Bikers' meatloaf
You’ll often find it made with a spiced tomato glaze, which brings additional flavour, but you can leave it out if you prefer.
You might also like...
Slimming World's meatloaf (opens in new tab)
Hairy Bikers' steak and ale pie (opens in new tab)
Hairy Bikers' healthy cottage pie (opens in new tab)