Halloumi (opens in new tab) salad with roasted plums has the perfect balance of sweet and salty that makes it so moreish! This simple dish makes the perfect dinner party starter (opens in new tab), or could be served on one platter as a crowd-pleasing buffet dish. Serve it with some lovely crusty bread for a more hearty meal. Halloumi is a semi-hard Cypriot cheese that is made for a combination of sheep and goat’s milk. Its firm texture makes it perfect for grilling, and makes a great addition to vegetarian dishes to add flavour, texture, and a bit of extra protein. This halloumi salad is so simple to make, yet has so much flavour! The herby dressing brings a burst of freshness to the rich and salty cheese, giving this dish a really well rounded flavour profile.
- 4 whole plums, quartered and de-stoned
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2tsp butter
- 1 pack halloumi cheese, sliced into 8 pieces
For the dressing
- 4tbsp olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lime, plus 1 lime cut into wedges to serve
- 1tsp sugar
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- Small bunch of each mint and coriander, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Place the plums on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 15-18 mins until they are slightly charred and just beginning to soften.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and season well. Heat the butter in a frying pan and pan-fry the halloumi slices for a few mins on each side until golden brown and starting to melt slightly.
- Plate up the halloumi slices with the roasted plums, and drizzle over the dressing. Serve with lime wedges on the side.